Feb 14, 2013

FEAR THE BEARD

From Andrew Bysice, and thanks to Trimes for posting this.  Donation page here.


The "Fear the Beard" Campaign

I am Andrew Bysice, an elite Canadian triathlete from Oakville, ON. I am also an alumnus of McMaster University's Swimming, Track and Cross Country Teams.

I am raising money for the removal of my beard from my face. 

But, I am not doing it for me, I am doing it for Naomi Cermak. 

Naomi is a friend of mine and a fellow triathlete and an alumnus of the McMaster Swim Team. 

Naomi has Stage IV melanoma
The incidence of melanoma is rapidly increasing in Canada with almost 6000 new cases reported every year. Melanoma has very few treatment options (let alone curative). However, one promising curative experimental treatment is called "immunotherapy" in which the patient's own immune system is taught to attack the melanoma. Immunotherapy is offered at only a select few cancer centres in the world and is currently not available in Canada. However, The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto is building an immunotherapy clinic in an effort to offer a curative treatment option for those diagnosed with melanoma .

Naomi has requested that any money that I raise through "Fear the Beard" goes to the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre to benefit melanoma treatment and research.

My minimum goal is $1000. 
The shave date is tentatively set for March 15th, 2013.
If Naomi is not in treatment that day, she will shave my beard. 

EXTRA INCENTIVE: Who ever donates the most money will get to pick what is shaved into my facial hair, which I will wear for 24 h. 

Remember, every little bit helps. 

Thanks!

Andrew Bysice

P.S. Oh! I forgot, Cancer will #fearthebeard 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP